Patient Resources

JRTC & Fort Johnson Military Ombudsman

Military Ombudsmen are Department of the Army civilian employees who work  at military installations in the United States and overseas.  They are very familiar with the Army’s culture and have the will, desire and determination to work and assist military personnel.  The majority of Ombudsmen are military veterans who have served as senior medical leaders and have the ability to address and assist Soldiers with medical concerns or issues. Their military knowledge, background and experience gives them a better understanding of how to navigate the system in support of Soldiers and their Families in relation to medical needs and other situations affecting their quality of life.

The JRTC & Fort Johnson Ombudsman functions as an independent, neutral, and impartial resource for military service members (Reservist, National Guard, Retirees, and Veterans) and their eligible Family members.  The Ombudsman can assist in addressing medical concerns, but can also assist in addressing other issues as well. The Ombudsman serves as a liaison between the client and the hospital commander for medical issues by acting as a communicator, facilitator and problem solver.

The intent of the Ombudsman program is to help cut through red tape by linking military and Family members with the appropriate resources to address medical questions, resolve issues, and connecting clients with the resources and assistance they need.  The Ombudsman is not here to take the place of the chain of command, but rather to work with and through the chain of command to support troops and Families when they are not sure where to go for medical assistance.

Frequently asked questions for the Fort Johnson Ombudsman:

What is the Military Ombudsman Program?
The Ombudsman program is an independent, neutral and impartial resource for military service members (Active, Reservist, National Guard, Retirees and Veterans) and their eligible Family members. The Ombudsman can assist in addressing medical questions, problems, concerns and can provide assistance in addressing other issues/concerns as well

What is the role of the Ombudsman?
The Ombudsman can assist in addressing an individual(s) concerns or issues by advocating for a fair process. The Ombudsman will review and analyze all perspectives of the issue as well as the following:

  1. Talk with the client and/or responsible agency/official regarding the issue; discuss issue with the responsible official or chain of command if requested by the client.
  2. Facilitate discussions, brainstorm and evaluate options; offer an impartial perspective; ensure confidentiality of the issue as appropriate; provide suggestions and recommendations for solutions.
  3. The Ombudsman conducts regular outreach to inform others about the program.
How can I invite the JRTC & Fort Johnson Ombudsman to address his program to our meetings or training?
The Ombudsman can be reached for meetings and training at (337) 718-8512
Who is the JRTC & Fort Johnson Ombudsman? How can I contact him for questions, information and concerns? 
Mr. Kevin Stuart is the JRTC & Fort Johnson Ombudsman, he is located in the Bayne-Jones Army Community Hospital (BJACH).  He can be reached at or (337) 718-8512. 
What are the hours of operation for the Ombudsman?
Monday – Friday 0730 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
What are some examples of questions addressed by the Ombudsman?
  1. Can I request for a second medical opinion if not satisfied with the care of my medical care provider?
  2. Can the Ombudsman assist me with chain of command issues?
  3. Can the Ombudsman provide assistance to my military Family members?
  4. Can my chain of command direct me to participate in field training exercise with a permanent profile?
  5. What’s a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB)?
  6. What actions can I take if my medical condition warrants a referral to the MEB and my primary care provider decides not to refer me?
  7. Can I obtain medical care outside of the installation’s military health care system?
  8. What can I do if my medical provider is not addressing my medical concerns?
  9. Can I change my military primary care provider if not satisfied with the medical care?

Who may contact the Fort Johnson Ombudsman for assistance?
Active duty, Reservist, National Guard, Retirees, Veterans and eligible Family members who need assistance with a medical problem, question, issue or concern.

Contact Us


1585 3rd St., Bldg 285, room 1208
Fort Johnson, La., 71459


Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed for lunch - 12 - 1 p.m.


Office: 337-531-3009
Cell: 337-718-8512

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here